The Sustainable Livelihoods Foundation is HIRING! In support of our work in promoting economic opportunities within township communities (our informality work), SLF is seeking to recruit a researcher with a background in architecture or urban design. The position is for a fixed term contract over 7 months (June to December) on a full time equivalent basis (22 days per month). This position is potentially also available on a part-time basis, subject to candidate suitability and commitment to deliverables. This is a paid position.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in architecture or urban planning (or relevant field with design experience) (we will consider candidates currently completing their post-graduate studies).
- Must be South African or have a valid work permit.
- Must have a Driver’s License (code 8) with 1 – 2 years driving experience.
- Demonstrated research ability.
- Excellent English writing skills across all platforms including academic, blogs, and social media.
- Substantial experience in architectural design software and/or graphic design software.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems and cope with pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to work in an unconventional, fluid and changing work environment.
- Management and administration of project activities on a day-to-day basis.
- Conducting desk-top research.
- Analysing land use in specific contexts (particularly informal contexts).
- Developing design concepts to enhance opportunities for micro-enterprises.
- Undertaking spatial impact research.
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative analyses of data.
- Writing of project reports, articles and blogs.
- Provide support on other SLF projects where required.
To apply please submit the following documents with subject line ‘Application for Researcher – Informality‘ to firstname.lastname@example.org, with:
- 2 page CV (maximum)
- 350 word motivational letter
- A sample of writing (500 words)
- A sample of design work
Applications are due by 12 May 2017, to commence work in June 2017. Please note that shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly. If you do not hear from us, please consider your application unsuccessful. For further information, please contact email@example.com.