Fixed Term Contract (12 months)
Starting Date: February 2020
The Sustainable Livelihoods Foundation NPC is seeking to engage a social science researcher to support our projects on township economy development. The position is for 12 months. The researcher will be engaged as an independent contractor. The researcher will be based at our Cape Town office, but required to travel within South Africa on a regular basis, working away from the office.
The researcher will undertake the following tasks:
- Conducting desk-top research on the state of various township economies, historical developments and existing development projects.
- Examining data and research reports on socio-economic conditions.
- Conducting field research to obtain data via in-depth interviews, focus group discussions, and questionnaires.
- Collecting data from official and archival sources.
- Compiling and utilising datasets and conducting base level analysis of trends and distributions.
- Analysing literature and research reports to prepare summaries.
- Writing project reports, documenting research processes, recording the minutes of project meetings, and corresponding with project partners.
- Supporting community-based and participatory engagements.
- Presenting the projects and SLF at various forums.
- Supporting project logistics, administrative tasks and new proposals.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and attributes:
- A Masters’ degree (awarded with an upper second or higher) in economics, development sociology, anthropology, architecture / land use planning or equivalent.
- At least 2 years of professional work experience.
- Excellent writing skills, good analytical skills.
- A demonstrable track record of working to deadlines and producing high quality research outputs.
- Good language competency in English, whilst competency in an indigenous language would be an advantage.
- A valid driving licence.
The position is open to South African citizens and residents. The indicative gross remuneration package is R250,000 – R324,000 over the duration of the contract, subject to prior professional experience.
Applicants should send a one page letter of motivation and maximum two page curriculum vitae, listing two contactable referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading Social Science Researcher.
Download the pdf advert here