Fixed Term Contract (12 months)
Starting Date: March/April 2020
The Directors of the Sustainable Livelihoods Foundation NPC (SLF) seek to engage a Business Manager to elevate SLF to the next level of professionalism and effective management. We are a small group of highly skilled and academically minded development practitioners whose purpose is to make a practical difference in disadvantaged communities in South Africa. We require someone who can work as part of a close team in Cape Town (Wynberg) and support the management of a demanding workload in a structured and detail-focused manner. We are ideally looking for a mid-career person with some business or consultancy experience who can bring disciplines from those sectors into the Foundation. Our Directors have substantial energy and creativity and require someone with self-confidence who can not only work well in pressurized environments, but can also function as a high-level team member. The role will be largely fashioned by the successful candidate in agreement with the Directors, and may evolve over time, but is likely to include:
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the business (e.g. organizational supplies and suppliers, employment and service provider contracts, physical office infrastructure, travel arrangements, supporting the management of project and organizational finances).
- Overseeing project portfolios and liaising with project leads (e.g. maintaining an overview of all ongoing projects and coordinating resource demands across those projects; ensuring each project is managed well financially and that regular communication/team meetings are in place).
- Managing communications and our public relations in concert with our New Business Director (e.g. website management including project updates and blogs), social media, PR events and conferences, liaising with the press).
- Supporting new funding applications (e.g. desk-top research, writing, supplying company information, client/donor meetings).
- Introducing and maintaining operational and financial management systems.
- Project management skills
- Basic business finance understanding
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proven writing skills
- Ability in process mapping
- Desirable: undergraduate degree, business and/or consultancy experience
Specific personal characteristics
- SA citizen or SA permanent resident holder
- Resilience, adaptability and flexibility
- Integrity, trustworthiness and reliability
- Proactive and takes accountability
- Self-belief and ability to take leadership when needed
- Ability to challenge constructively
- Attention to detail
- Energy and drive
- A perspective on the bigger picture as well as the detail
The Business Manager will gain valuable exposure to a wide range of projects and disciplines in our highly driven and effective office environment. The position is available for up to 12 months in the first instance with a gross salary in the vicinity of R35,000 per month (cost to company).
To apply for this unique opportunity, we require:
- A letter of application of no more than two pages that clearly describes your experience and interest in the post.
- A (maximum) three-page resume of relevant background and experience (academic and professional), including contact details of three referees.
- Shortlisted candidates may be requested to attend a two-tier interview.
Application letters and resumes must be submitted to email@example.com with the subject heading Business Manager by close of business on the 21st of February 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the 28th of February.